Wednesday, March 3, 2010

NT30 - The Second Day


Into the 2nd Day of NT30, reading from Matt 13:1 to 23:39

Focusing on Chapter 16:15 where Jesus asked Peter, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter reply was one that was filled with faith, worship, awe and devotion for Jesus as he proclaimed, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." (16:16)

The next moment, Peter was rebuking Jesus and trying to persuade Him to change His mind about His mission. Jesus had to make a stern statement to him, "Get behind Me Satan. You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God but the things of men." (16:23)

The same scenario goes to the transfiguration event. It is so easily to be caught with something else and replaced by something of lesser worth than Jesus alone. And believers and disciples of Jesus are not spared. This happened to Peter, it can also happened to me at anything.

I supposed that is why Jesus had to highlight this important verse 24, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me."

One of the thing I am praying for myself this year, is to have the mind of Christ and His kingdom increasingly more. That I will be more mindful of the things of God and not the things of men.

To gain that, Christ must increase and I must decrease. It goes back to verse 24.
To be on guard, as anything can replace that worship to Jesus, even if it means for just a while. And it can come packaging in a very 'noble way'. (just like what Peter had tried persuading Jesus)

What would my answer be if Jesus would ask the same question, " Who do you say I am?"

My answer would be directly linked to knowing Jesus and more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment