Friday, April 9, 2010

The Burnt Car

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you will recover your life. I will show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I will not lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you. Keep Company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
(Matthew 11:27-30, Message Bible)


Just two days ago, I was walking towards the Christ Church compound preparing to join the English Conversational Class for the China Nationals. I witnessed a burnt car outside the church, along Dorset Road. There was such a strong odour of a burnt engine and tyres.

I am not an expert when it comes to cars and engines. But there is something at least I am aware of. Besides the regular car inspection, the owner needs to ensure the engine and the raditator are in good condition and there must be enough water in the raditator.

This week was a real teaxing one for me. While the mandate things need to keep moving on, there was the Tuesday night English Conversational Class, the staff Pre-Planning meetings, Happy Thursday, Core Team Meetings, Leaders' Mentoring and the launch of the Sunday Night Fellowship. On top of that, I was invited to farewell tea gathering to bless a young man going for his mission trips, birthday celebrations. Wow, at one point, I was totally exhausted.

This was not strange and new to many of us. There are times in life where it demands more from us than the usual. It is so easy for us attempting to accomplish those tasks and emotional situations with our own strength. We found ourselves pulled in all directions.

The truth is that: We cannot solve our exhaustion problem without God.

Jesus spoke to a crowd in Galilee one day about this problem. He said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls . For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30, NIV)

I went on to read this same verse in the Message verson and it goes like this:
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you will reciver your life. I will show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I will not lay anything heavy or ill fitting on you. Keep Company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

I cannot helped but to link to the burnt car scenerio. We all need to have regular SOUL REST. Centre our hearts on His, connect to the ONLY ONE that can truly gave us that rest.

Never will I want to be found in a too late situation - the burnt car.

No comments:

Post a Comment