Monday, June 29, 2009

Careful Obedience



"Lord, I knew you to be a hard man" (Matthew 25:24)

What's the difference between Desire and Devotion? Does it have a link and is it co-related?

Webster dictionary defines Devotion as commitment to some purposes or feelings of ardent love. Desire is define as the feeling that accompanies an unsatisfied state.

We can stay desiring something but without a devotion to pursue and stay on. And we can be devoted to something without desiring it any more. How do I bring a balancing between the two?

In all relationships, one cannot live without the other. What's more is my relationship with my Creator. There's a call to increase more day by day in desiring Him and devoting myself to Him.

As I read Matthew 25:14-10 again about the three servants who were entrusted with large sum of money by the master. The reply of the third servant was one that not only protrayed his irresponsibility and pushing blame, but he truly does not know his master. He was a careful man, but it was his carefulness that displeased his master. He probably has the desires to invest. Sadly his carefullness had preceded his desires.

Carefulness does not usually carry a tone of negativism. In fact, we were instructed to take careful steps and consideration since we were young. How could this carefulness be so displeasing to the master? The third servant sees his master as a hard man where the other had not seen it that way. The other two servants knew their master, but not the third one. He does not know his master. He does not trust his master's heart. Neither does he knows his master's heart.

The issue isn't the capital gains. It is not what we think of God. The third servant buried his master's desires. he buried his own desire. Self-interest is in his heart. Self has became his own master. His obedience is not so much out of love as it is out of carefulness. The third servant's act looks legimate and godly to have his own desire killed. But not in this case, it is godlessness. God is not in his equation. His actions speaks the message clear.

He has blind devotion but no longer any burning desire. His thirst to thirst for more had ceased. In his belief, his master was a hard man. Nothing reveals more clearly as what he does with his desire.

What do I do with my desire? Do I know my Master as in Knowing Him? What's does He desires? Does my action reflected what I believed and truly desired? If my heart is not is His heart of desires, my devotion would be just a series of empty devotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment