Wednesday, June 3, 2009

DAY 7: The When/Then Syndrome (Part 1)


Stress is casued by being here, but 'wanting to be there', being in the present but wanting to be in the future. Too many of us fall into the when/then trap. We'll be happy when some arbitrary "this or that" happens. But that's not true. When/Then happiness is a mirage.
When I first started pastoring. I dreamed of a church that was impacting hundreds of people. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that dream if it's god-given. But I think sometimes it's an ego thing. In every occupation there are comparison points. In pastoral circles the size of the church is sometimes equated with the value of pastor. The bigger the church the better you feel. The smaller the church the more insugnificant you feel.
My first year we averaged 25 people. And I remember coming to a point where I had to make a conscious decision. It was a defining moment for me. I realised that I could be unhappy until the church reached some "arbitrary" number at some "indefinite" time in the future. Or I could love pastoring a church of 25 people now. And I decided that I was going to enjoy pastoring a church of 25 and 50 and 100 and 250 and 400. And I'll continue enjoying every stage because I refuse to live in the future. I choose to live now and enjoy every today God gives me.
(Adapted from Senior Pastor Guna Raman devotional 'Managing Transitions in a Downturn)

No comments:

Post a Comment