Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Honouring Your Husband - Do it!

"And let the wife see that she respects and reverences her husband - that she might notices him, regards him, honours him, prefers him, venerates and esteems him; and that she defers to him, praises him, and loves him and admires him exceedingly."
(Ephesians 5:33 Amplified)


Last Saturday, AGF (Agape Girlfriends' Ministry) had a great time inspiring and encouraging one another in the area of honour. We reminded ourselves again this basic principle - It is not just knowing that it is a right thing to do, but simply by just DOING IT.

One area we are constantly challenge to do is to honour our husbands. To help me to be mindful of this, I had 3 simple words to guide me along - Adoration, Admiration and Appreciation. As much as a woman desires to be loved, a big tough man of ours longs to be admired. He desires for someone to think that he is brave, brilliant, loving, tender and tough, handsome, humorous, masculine and logic. That's what a man dreams of from his woman.

To adore your husband is simply to love him with all your heart and let him know it. I used to say this, "I like not only to be loved, but to be told that I am loved." When was the last time these three simple, profound, heart-words were uttered to his ears, "I love you."?

The truth is men want to be admired by the woman of their dreams. It starts with mom (that is why mothers need to affirm their boys.). All man goes somewhere and someone to get their admiration, affirmation and appreciation. He goes to work hoping to hear, "Great job. Well done!" He goes back to home to hear from his mother, "I am proud of you son." He feasts on compliments from his clients and colleagues from his office. He hangs out with his friends and social circles hoping to receive a pat. He goes somewhere and all men do.

Where does your husband go for adoration, admiration and appreciation? I once learned this from a book that I had read, "If you are not praising your husband enough, someone else will do the job for you." Where does your man go to be admired?

Dr Willard Hardley (His Needs, Her Needs) says, "When a woman tells a man she thinks he's wonderful, that inspires him to achieve more. He sees himself as capable of handling new responsibilities and perfecting skills far above those of his present level. That inspiration helps him prepare for the responsibilities of life. Admiration not only motivates, it also rewards the husband's existing achievements. When she tells him that she appreciates him for what he has done, it gives him more satisfaction than he receives from his paycheck. A woman needs to appreciate her husband for what he already is, not for what he could become, if he lived up to her standards. For some men - those with fragile self-images, admiration also helps them believe in themselves. Without it, these men seem inherently more defensive about their shortcomings. While criticism causes men to become defensive, admiration energizes and motivates them. A man expects and needs - his wife to be his most enthusiastic fan. He draws confidence from her support and can easily achieved far more with her."

Do you want to see your husband's face light up like a full moon? I told my husband how amazed I am that he knows how to set up the cooling system for his marine aquarium. And I am impressed by his great sense of road directions. Then I just sit back and watch him glow. I became the mirror where my husband sees himself. It helps me to restrain from my critical tongue and the sincere, genuine love for my husband simply just flows.

Do not withhold admiring words from your husband. First and foremost, be real and authentic. Start with one compliment or word of appreciation. Soon, the admiration will begin to flow...hopefully both ways. (like in my case)

Pick up your mobile and text something sweet and kind now...

Not just knowing the right things to do, simple DO IT.

And it honours our Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment