Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Spear Thrower

'"but there was a spear in Saul's hand. And Saul cast the spear, for he said, "I will pin David to the wall." But David escaped his presence twice."'
(1 Samuel 18:10-11)


What would you do if someone pick up a spear and throw right at you? One's normal reaction is first to quickly shunned away from the weapon. Next, pick up the spear and throw back at your attacker.

David probably never raised his suspicion against King Saul until it happened to him the first time. Thank God, it missed him. He was more prepared for the second one to come and it missed him again.

If I am David and I had a King Saul throwing his spears straight at me. This is probably my immediate response:
  • Pick up the spear and throw right at him back OR:
  • Secretly make my own set of spears (sharper ones surely), awaiting for the right time to throw back.
  • Start to tell everyone that Saul is a mad spear-thrower.
Unlike a 'human response', David did not throw back Saul's spears at him. Nor did he quietly make some spears of his own and throw back at King Saul. Something was different about David. All he did was dodge the spears. Weird response from a human.

Twice, David escaped from being hit. One could easily tell when someone has been hit. It could easily turned into a deep shade of bitter.

I wondered, if David was really hit. Would he still maintain his calm and posture?
I choose to believe he will. Many chapters later in 1 Samuel 24, we saw David sparing the life of King Saul, although he has all great and fitting opportunity to get rid of his attacker.

From David's response, I saw and learned three things from this great man:

1) Don't master the art of spear throwing.

Since school days, 'Good Citizen' session always taught us this principle - Don't do to others what you do not want people to do to you.

Nevertheless, we are still surrounded by people who had mastered the art of spear-throwing. I cannot stop that, neither change that. But neither do I wish to become one of them.

David do not want to become another spear-thrower. Neither do I.


2) Stay away from the company of spear throwers.

Spear throwers attract spear throwers. Who am I attracted to? Who are in my community that I fellowship?

Spear throwers are probably insecure; jealous; self-seeking, 'too-free' beings. Maybe, they are once a victim of a spear thrower.

David never joined the 'Saul' club because he was aware - he can become another Saul.


3) Don't become another King Saul.

David could also easily become another King Saul, but he did not. I believe God had used the 'outer' Saul to show David that he could also become one. God used the outer Saul to kill and cut away the 'possible' and inner Saul inside David's heart. David never retaliate because he was allowing God to put to death his own 'inner King Saul.'

David did not want to become another King Saul. Neither do I?

So, how do we deal with the possible 'inner Saul' in us?
I learned to allow God to deal with my 'inner Saul', using people and circumstances.
I learned to throw my spear at God (whenever I needed to) instead of men. God is able and capable of handling it better. By the way, He never get offended at me having to pour my injustice and grievances unto Him.


David knew he was the appointed, anointed and selected one to be the king. God called David. No one and no situations can change that. Unless God changed His mind about David, no one can.

So David walked in his destiny.

So am I.


No comments:

Post a Comment